Monday, October 26, 2015
We Need to Learn the Right METHOD
So this week in our sustainability class we learned about a very interesting company called Method. Method manufacturers soap products, but not just any ordinary soap (well kind of). Method prides itself on offering the "greenist" product on the market. But what do I mean when I say the "greenist" product on the market? Well, it pretty much means that every single step, from materials to the production process is done with sustainability in mind. I had heard about Method before and thought they had a great product, but I never really knew how truly sustainable they really were. So I decided to do a little more background research not the company and what they were up to.
Back in April, Method built a new production facility just outside of Chicago in a city called Pullman. But let me tell ya, this wasn't just any ordinary facility. First, lets start from the outside, which has a 23 story wind turbine, aided by two rotating solar panels next to the parking lot, which cover over 40% of electricity costs. On top of the building they have built a 75,000 square foot greenhouse that will produce over 1 million of produce a year. Sounds pretty crazy huh? But its true! To top that off, for the first time, Method has bottle and soap production and distribution in one place, reducing transportation costs significantly.
So after reading this article, it really gave me hope that more companies would follow in Method footsteps, and understand that they could be doing good for themselves while at the same time doing good for the environment. It was really amazing to see how one company could make such a huge impact.
Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-confidential-method-soap-0429-biz-20150428-column.html
Update on EF Reduction Goals:
So far so good. I think I've been doing really good in terms of following my goals. I didn't make my goals too difficult, because I wanted to make sure they were realistic. I'm going to test our electricity bill for this month and compare it to the next month in hopes of seeing some type of reduction. I've been trying to eat all organic meat as well. I've also decided to add another goal, which was to not eat meat once a week, which I think I could easily accomplish.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment