Friday, October 9, 2015

Current Event - Sony Pictures

Sony Pictures "Picture This Campaign"

Earlier this quarter my professor mentioned that one of the options we had for group projects was E-Waste, or electronics recycling. This got me interested in the subject, especially when my teacher mentioned that Sony Electronics had been doing a very poor job of offering their customers different options to recycle their old electronics. So to my surprise, one of the first article I found when I googled Sony was an article on their new "Green" campaign names "Picture This." 

The article is actually pretty interesting, and I think the concept is brilliant. Sony is using their multitude amounts of media channels to broadcast their new campaign. The article states, "A new environmental campaign from Sony Pictures Television Networks will help promote conservation and preservation issues across the globe, and in the United States these efforts will focus on the needs of our iconic National Parks." I think that its great that such a huge conglomerate has pulled together their resources, and make a stand against important environmental issues surrounding our world today. My only question is, why aren't they addressing the issue of e-waste? Now I did do a little research, and although they do have a recycling program, they're not doing a very good job of promoting it. I honestly didn't even know it was such an issue until my roommate told me about it just last year. 

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so negative. What Sony has decided to do is great, but I just think they also need to make the issue of E-Waste a little more apparent to their consumers. Overall, I think the campaign makes a lot of sense, and allows people to say that big corporations are starting to take initiatives on being more environmentally friendly. Heck, it might even convince people to start doing something themselves to fix the problem. I just think they are shying away from the fact that they themselves could be helping their consumers in the fight against E-Waste by telling their customers about the issue. Maybe they could have just added a little scene in their at they end saying something like, "You can help us by making sure you recycle your old electronics and we'll make sure to recycle them properly." I don't something like that. Anyways, take a look at the campaign yourself and let me know what you think! Thanks for reading!



Source: http://cleantechnica.com/2015/09/30/sony-pictures-promotes-national-parks-with-picture-this-environmental-campaign/



No comments:

Post a Comment