Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The Real Cost of Food

 

This week in class we discussed about a really interesting topic that examines the "true cost" of what you buy. A better term for this is true cost accounting, which is a method of assigning value to the social, environmental, and health impacts of producing food. I think it is extremely (and I mean extremely) important for people to take a step back, and really think about what they buy and where it comes from. But what I believe is even more important to examine, something that is very dear to my heart, is the stuff you put in your body, yes, I mean food! I think more and more people are forgetting to take a second and actually think about where their food comes from. I mean to me, its kind of a no brainer, I really do care about what I put in my body because I believe every person should take care of themselves, and strive to be a healthy individual. Lets think about it, if you're buying cheap food, why do you think its so cheap? Why does organic or locally grown food cost more? Some people may say its because its a scam, or not worth it. But in reality, the reason why its a little bit more expensive is because those farmers who produce organic or locally grown food take the time to care for products, and at the same time, strive to produce the freshest and cleanest product. How do you think you can go to McDonalds and buy a $1 cheeseburger? Well its because, those farmers who produce that meat try and push out as much as possible to sell at a lower price, and drive away all other competitors. Sorry for the rant. Anyways, I found an awesome article from Food Tank, who was actually hosting a panel and luncheon to launch a new research report spotlighting the external costs of food production and policy mechanisms to create a more transparent, accountable, and sustainable food system. In the report, Food Tank describes the work of organizations across the globe working to research and implement True Cost Accounting, and also provides calls to action for stakeholders across food system sectors. I was really glad to see that companies are starting to realize what the true cost of food is, and discover a new way of doing business.

http://foodtank.com/news/2015/11/exclusive-food-tank-event-the-real-cost-of-food

1 comment:

  1. Good series of CE posts, Wilson! Don't apologize for ranting, you will notice I do it all the time! This stuff is so important, thanks for bringing Food Tank to my attention. 100/100 points

    ReplyDelete